Welcome to Lauren Land — a collage of all things creative, intriguing and relevant to public relations or advertising (or both!).
For those of you with whom I have not had the pleasure of meeting, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Lauren Gillaspey and I am a recent graduate of Northern Arizona University (NAU), circa May 2010, where I earned a Bachelors of Science degree in both Public Relations and Advertising (let’s not forget my business minor!).
In addition to graduating from NAU, I recently uprooted my life (my dog, Lexi, in tow) from “home” in Tucson, Ariz. to the welcome arms of my dad, stepmom, their two dogs (Fluffy and Smokey) and their super (un)spacious two-bedroom apartment in Nashville, Tenn. Although I haven’t called Tennessee home in almost 10 years and despite the fact that I left my job, friends and some family behind, it has been an A–M–A–Z–I–N–G change of scenery/experience thus far.
Since graduation, I have worked on strengthening my resume in several aspects, including this blog. From May till August, I interned at the notable Gadabout SalonSpas in Tucson, Ariz. (who recently had an appearance on The Today Show) in their Marketing Department as a Social Media Intern. After the internship ended, I continued working with the company up until my move to Tennessee. Additionally, I began working on freelance opportunities with a local business, Catherine’s Estates, Arts & Antiques, for which I produced and distributed press releases and maintained their web presence.
Another notable achievement since acquiring my alumni status has been increasing my appearance and involvement within the community through networking groups such as PRSA, PRSA Young Professionals, Ad 2 Tucson, Ad 2 Nashville, Tucson American Marketing Association and others. While in still in Tucson, I was actively involved in the Events Committee for their Ad 2 chapter. My experience with them, as well as my tenacity and drive, led me to volunteer for the open Programs Chair position for Ad 2 Nashville.
Beyond all that prime and proper mumbo-jumbo, here are a few important tidbits you should know:
- I am:
- A few of my hobbies include mastering the culinary arts, photography, traveling, and running (once again, the dog in tow).
- My New Year’s Revolution for 2011 (I’m a bit early to make up for not having one this year, plus I need to prepare) is to run a half marathon by my birthday in March and (hopefully) a marathon by Xmas 2011 (I’m thinking I’ll do the Chicago or NYC Marathon). If I am not fully finished with my training by then, I would like to have completed the whopping 26.2 mile run by my following birthday (March 2012).
- I love colors–the brighter the better.
- I love modern anything–architecture, design, you name it.
- After a ten-year hiatus, I am finally able to purchase my childhood favorites (i.e. Boiled Custard and Berry Berry Kix).
- I love trying new things.
With this blog, I will showcase the things (mostly targeted toward the communications industries) I find to be beautiful, intriguing, frightening, amazing, odd and so much more. If you should have any questions, I love opening the floor for discussions, so comment-, e-mail-, or Skypeaway with all your heart’s desire.
I hope you enjoy!